The Orthodox Church Art
In 1945-1947 the communist
rulers of the People's Republic of Poland deported about six hundred thousand
Ukrainians from south-eastern Poland to the USSR or to the east and north.
The depopulated lands witnessed the
premeditated destruction of many valuable objects of art-Eastern Orthodox and
Greek Catholic churches.
The Lancut collection contains icons, banners, processional crosses, textiles
and liturgical vestments rescued from this pogrom.
This collection of Orthodox church art, the largest in Poland, is stylistically
of exceptional interest, as it was created in an area where Byzantine and Latin
influences met. The collection includes precious icons from the fifteenth
through eighteenth centuries.